Cambridge National Certificate in Enterprise and Marketing.
Level 1 and 2 for students aged 14-16, equivalent to a GCSE
This course is designed to fit into the new curriculum and offer the same size, rigor and performance points as GCSE’s. The Cambridge National provides a strong base for progression to further education and to our 6th Form to complete the Level 3 Cambridge Technical (A level equivalent).
How it is assessed.
The course is broken down into 3 units:-
Unit 1 - Examination 1 hour and 30 minutes (50% of total award – taken at the end of year 10)
Unit 2 & 3 Controlled Assessment (2x 25% of total award – done in year 9 and 11)
What you will learn
Unit 1 (externally assessed exam)
Marketing – research and segmentation
Finance – costs, revenue and break even
Product development – life cycle, differentiation and USP
External Factors – economics
Customer service - aftersales, pricing strategies, advertising and promotion
Business ownership – sole traders and PLC’s
Business planning – start your own business and functional areas
Unit 2 (Controlled Assessment – internally assessed)
Student will create and cost a business proposal. Student will undertake market research, present data and costings.
Unit 3 (Controlled Assessment – internally assessed)
Students will prepare and pitch their own business proposal that they studied in Unit 2. Furthermore, students will develop brand identity, promotion materials and ultimately pitch their product.
10 reasons to study business
- Lots of job opportunities:Business courses introduce you to marketing, human resources, accounting, ICT, customer care. Every organisation needs people who have these skills.
- Increases your confidence:Business courses are all about developing your interpersonal skills so that you feel more confident dealing with people in the workplace. We do this by involving you in hands-on activities such as group projects and fundraising.
- Prepares you for the modern office:You will learn how to use the most up-to-date ICT Microsoft packages. If you have great ICT skills you will be immediately effective in the workplace.
- Improves your communication:Business people need to be able to write reports, letters, and e-mails, deliver presentations or negotiate deals with customers. We also develop your listening skills and raise awareness of the importance of body language. Our employers tell us communication is one of the most important skills they look for in applicants.
- Become a great team player:It’s all about the team! In our collaborative learning environment you will learn to work as a team, how to get the best out of your team and discover what your role is in a team is.
- Learn to deliver exceptional customer service:For business success you need to understand your customer needs and deliver a service that exceeds their expectations. A business course will show you how to achieve this.
- You can exploit your creativity:Have you got good ideas? Are you innovative? Are you a detail orientated person? A business career gives you opportunities to make a real impact by tapping into your creative side.
- If you love a challenge:Employers need qualified business people who can help them solve problems and make decisions that will generate wealth for their business. If you are a hands-on person who likes to deal with practical – often tedious – problems that have to be overcome to keep a business functioning, then a business course might be for you!
- Because you are a people person!You like to talk, discuss, debate, negotiate but most of all feel your contribution is helping. “People buy people” so if you are good at interacting with people and enjoy the experience you will get the most out of a business course.
- Want to be self-employed?A business course can help you achieve the knowledge and skills you will need to manage your own business. Stop dreaming and start believing in yourself – you can make this happen!
Once qualified you will have a range of skills allowing you to work in various areas of a business including marketing, sales, customer service, HR, accounting, ICT and admin. The skills gained from studying the Cambridge National Course are numerous including the following;
- Team building
- Communication and soft skills
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Problem solving and decision making
- Self-reliance, time management and multitasking skills